06 March 2011
Enemy Blog: Head over to Rock the Red for your opposition blog coverage
Record: Lightning (37-21-7) Capitals (36-20-10)
Game time: 7:00pm EST on TSN2 and Versus (HD) and on the radio at 620 WDAE
Free Stuff: The first 5000 fans in Lightning stuff get a recyclable grocery bag. This better be good looking or it's going in the garbageWith a win over the Panther's last night, the Caps have now exchanged spots with us into 3rd in the Eastern Conference, dropping us back to 5th place. But a win tonight over the Caps, will have us switch spots back into 3rd in the Conference, so in terms of standings, this is a very important game. Can somebody pass that message along to the team?
The Capitals are on a four game winning streak, winning in OT Sunday night against the Panthers. They are no doubt looking to come in to Tampa and extend their lead over the Lightning in the Southeast Division.
After three losses in a row, the Lightning need to find their stride again in a hurry. They came out flat against the Canadiens on the weekend, and face a tough week ahead. Tonights game and Wednesday's game against the Hawks will be tough just based on the opponents. But then on the weekend they'll face the Senators and Panthers back-to-back, two teams with nothing to lose which at the ends of the year seem to be dangerous games. It's a tough spot the team find themselves in, but good teams battle through it.
Speaking of being surpassed in the standings, Daniel Sedin extended his lead to 80 points with another point against he LA Kings this past weekend. Stamkos currently sits in 2nd place with 78 points. Both Sedin and Stamkos have struggled to put up points in the past few games. Although he has a huge lead in the most goals scored, he needs to pick up some points this week if he wants to keep pace with Daniel.
The game is at 7pm and is on Versus instead of SUN.
- Lightning injuries: Ryan Malone, Mike Lundin are out with mid body injuries. Steve Downie is listed as day-to-day with a lower body injury.
- Caps injuries: Mike Green, Tom Poti, Eric Fehr, Semyon Varlamov
Your pre-game reading links:
- Official Lightning preview
- Raw Charge's preview
- Rock the Red's preview
- On the weekend the Admirals lost to the Hershey Bears 3-2, Russian Machine Never Breaks has over 100 photos from a fight Sheldon Souray got in with Lightning prospect Vladimir Mihalik
- A Virginia man wins a $100,000 lottery using the Caps' jersey numbers (CSN Washington)
- Dan Ellis let in 3 goals on 16 shots against the Canucks on Sunday night