19 January 2011
Enemy Blog: Thrashing the Blues
Record: Lightning (27-15-5) Thrashers (23-18-7)
Game time: 7:00pm EST on SUN (HD) and on the radio at 620 WDAE
This is the fifth time we'll play the Thrashers this season, with the Lightning winning all four of the games we've played against them this season. Curiously, the NHL schedule-makers decided the Lightning and Thrashers should play their final divisional game against each other on Sunday at home in Tampa Bay. So quick little back-to-back roadtrip for the Lightning as after Thursday's game they'll be off to Sunrise to take on the Panthers.
The Thrashers sit in 8th spot in the Eastern Conference with 53 points and tonight is important because the two points are worth more than your average two points when they are against divisional rivals. After dropping a few games, the Thrashers won on Monday against the Florida Panthers in a 3-2 games. Which pretty much sound exactley what the Lightning just did against the Blue Jackets on Tuesday night.
Steven Stamkos brought back his scoring with two goals against the Blue Jackets, and the Lightning finally won a game in the shootout. All very positive things. With Sidney Crosby still out, Stamkos has the lead in goals right now with 35 goals and is getting closer to Crosby's lead in points, just three points back from Sid's 66.
Expect the Thrashers to come out hard against the Lightning tonight and on Sunday night as well. Seriously which team wants to drop all of its games against its divisional opponent?
One thing the Lightning won't have to face when they take on the Thrashers: Ben Eager, as he's been traded away from the Thrashers to the San Jose Sharks in exchange for a fifth round pick in the 2011 NHL Entry Draft
Update on the Thrasher's line-up:
- Evander Kane is out due to a mid-body injury and Zach Bogosian is a healthy scratch for the second straight game in favour of a player named Freddy Meyer according to ajc.com
- Also from the AJC, Nigel Dawes and Tim Stapleton has been recalled from the minors
This and that:
- Mike Smith is expected to be taken off of injured reserve soon. What's going to happen with that? When Roloson played in Edmonton he was in a similar situation competing against Mathieu Garon and Jeff Deslauriers for the starting job until Garon was traded to Pittsburgh.
- ANNNND Marc-Andre Bergeron is already injured! The team calls it a "contusion to his right knee" according to Lightning Strikes. This is the same knee he had surgery on during the summer. Awesome
- It looks like the Lightning have 14 more days to decide what is going on with their goaltending situation, or until one of them injure themselves as Mike Smith has been sent to Norfolk for a conditioning assignment
Your pre-game reading links: