15 March 2010
Apologies on the lack of recaps this weekend, it was a mix of being busy, and literally getting last minute tickets to a hockey game (the game had already finished the 1st period). No games today, so recap of this weekend and some links to stuff I've been reading
Lightning vs. Caps
Where does a Lightning fan even begin? The Lightning won a game! Against a good team! Yes really, we won a game, was this feeling of joy that I felt what other teams feel on a regular basis? Anyways, the Lightning did win 3-2, in Washington no less. Stamkos extended his 18 game point streak but was not able to score, snapping his goal scoring streak. Niittymaki was solid in goal, and goals from Lecavalier, Foster and male model Brandon Bochenski.
Lightning vs. Penguins
I've already said something about Steve Downie and his attempt to injure Crosby yesterday after the game. Regardless of who Steve Downie did this to, I don't feel that such an attempt at injuring a player should be allowed in the game. Injuries to the knees kill careers and regardless if this was Crosby or another player, I don't think it has a place in hockey. If Crosby had been and older player, perhaps he would not have been able to shake it off and return to the ice like Crosby did.
The NHL did not suspend Downie today for the incident. I expected as much from the NHL, and felt that Downie would only get a suspension if Crosby had been injured. Moving on, we still have games to look forward to, and hate to say it, the Lightning need Downie to play since we are already dealing with injuries.
The Lightning scored midway through the 2nd period from a wrist shot from Lecavalier and attempted to ride out a 1 goal game. They removed their foot from the gas and stopped applying any offensive pressure on the Pens.
The hockey game was, *gasp* sold out with an attendance of 20,230
News and Links
- Mattias Ohlund who was hurt in the game against the Leafs last Thursday is out indefinately with a left-ankle sprain
- Cassie from Raw Charge had an interview with Lightning goalie prospect Dustin Tokarski - good read, now go read it
- There is a St. Patrick's Day themed pre-game tail-gate before tomorrow night's game, don't really know how cuban sandwiches made it on the Irish themed menu, but they're there
- Don't Trade Vinny has managed to confiscate Rick Tocchet's job application form from the Lightning head office to enlighten fans about how he got hired
- As per Pierre LeBrun's twitter, the NHL did fine Downie for an undisclosed amount for the incident that occured on Sunday