15 December 2010
Record: Lightning (16-10-4) Thrashers (17-11-3)
Game time: 7:30pm EST on SUN (HD) and on the radio at 620 WDAE
Game day events: Toys for tots drive, Sweetbay ticket vouchers, student rush night...basically lots of ways to get to the game for free/cheap. The first 2500 people at the game IN Lightning gear get a Mattias Ohlund trading card set. Full details here.
Can you believe that the Thrashers have such a similar record to us? Where did this come from Atlanta? And with that latest win over the Senators, the Thrashers leapfrog us in the standings. I'm the first to admit that I don't know what the majority of the SE Division is up to until I'm forced to look up the stats because we're playing them. And speaking of the SE Division, have we even played Carolina this season? Like what's up with the scheduling there NHL?
So the Lightning play the next three games at home, Wednesday against the Thrashers, the Sabres and then finally next Monday, the Hurricanes.
In the two games we've played against the Thrashers this season we've won them both. But the Thrashers have been playing good hockey as of late and have won the last two in a row.
As the Lightning have returned home for a little bit, even though Ellis won in Vancouver, Mike Smith will get the start in goal. Maybe with all this Nabokov whispering, it will inspire him to find him game?
One of the positives for the team is that with two goals on Saturday night, Stamkos has busted him scoring slump. Another positive is that Lecavalier was practicing with the team on Tuesday in a red non-contact jersey and his injury status has now been changed to day-to-day. His leadership more than anything has been sorely missed.
- Mike Smith will get the start in goal
- Vincent Lecavalier and Steve Downie are out for the Lightning
- Ben Eager and Niclas Bergfors is scratched for the Thrashers
Your pre-game reading links:
- Official Lightning preview
- Raw Charge preview
- In the Vancouver Sun, Ian Walker has another edition of Gross Misconduct with Mike Smith. He shares tanning secrets, the last time he built a sand castle and why he's not a fan of twitter. As always with the Gross Misconduct series so far, it's a good read.